Search for "How do I add groups"
How do I add a freecycling group to my account?
(If you're using the mobile version of the site, skip down to the mobile instructions below)
- Go to the Groups page and click the button labelled "Add Group".
- Enter your city and state into the search field and click Search.
- Use the map below the search field to view the groups that are close to you (you can zoom out and view a larger area by clicking the minus sign near the top left of the map).
- For each group you want to add, click on its red marker on the map to see its name.
- Click on the name of each group to select it.
- Finally, click the large green button labelled "Add Selected Groups".
Once you add a group, a subscription request is automatically sent to the group. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days for your request to be approved but we'll automatically email you once you are approved. The reason for the delay is that some group moderators choose to moderate membership requests in order to prevent spammers and non-local people from joining.
Or, if you're using the mobile site:
- Go to the Groups page and click the "Add Groups" button.
- Select your country, enter your postal code (if asked) and click the "Search" button.
- For each group you want to add, click the checkbox next to its name.
- Finally, click the "Join Selected Groups" button.
How do I unsubscribe from a freecycling group on Yahoo Groups?
If you're unsubscribing because you're getting too much email or have other problems with the group, you should switch to trash nothing! We make freecycling groups easier to use and don't flood you with email. It only takes a minute to sign up, add your local groups and unsubscribe from your groups on Yahoo Groups.
To unsubscribe on Yahoo Groups:
- Go to the Yahoo Groups Management page (you'll be asked to login to Yahoo if you aren't logged in)
- Click the checkmark under the "Leave Group" column for every group you wish to leave.
- Click the button labelled "Save Changes".
How do I use my existing freecycling groups on trash nothing?
There are two options. The first is to follow the forwarding instructions to switch your subscription over.
Or, you can simply add the group from the Groups page (learn how). This will create another subscription for you that is seperate from your old subscription (so you might want to unsubscribe on Yahoo Groups rather than have duplicate subscriptions). Some groups aren't listed on the Groups page and in these cases you should follow the forwarding instructions.
How do I post an Offer or a Want?
To offer or request items from your local groups, simply fill out and submit the new post form. You can find links to the new post form near the top right side of the All Posts page, the Your Posts page and the daily digest email. Please note that most posts have to be approved by volunteer group moderators (separately for each group) and so posts will not instantly show up on your groups after you submit them.
Also, make sure you've read the group notices from your groups before posting. Most groups have rules that restrict certain items or limit the frequency and number of items you can request.
How do I stop all the freecycle emails?
If you're receiving emails from Yahoo Groups (and 99% of people who ask this question are), you should switch to trash nothing! to use your existing freecycle groups so that you won't be flooded with emails. Just sign up, add your local groups and unsubscribe from your groups on Yahoo Groups.
Alternatively, if you've decided you want to give up on the whole reuse and free stuff idea, you can just unsubscribe from your groups on Yahoo Groups
For the 1% who aren't receiving emails from Yahoo Groups, you can change your email preferences on the Email Alerts & Daily Digest tab of your Profile page.