Search for "how do i post an offer or a want"
How do I post an Offer or a Request?
To offer or request items, simply fill out and submit the new post form. You can find a link to the new post page at the top of the All Posts page, the Your Posts page and the digest emails. Please note that most posts have to be approved by volunteer group moderators (separately for each group) and so posts will not instantly show up on your groups after you submit them.
Before you can post, you must sign up.
How do I mark my Offer as gifted?
Go to the Your Posts page and click on the Offer post that contains the item(s) that you want to mark as gifted. Click the button labelled "Mark as Gifted" that is below the post title. This will remove your old Offer post from the group listings.
What is freecycling and how does it work?
The idea of freecycling is to promote the three R's (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle) by making it easy for people to give away their unwanted but reusable items to people who can use them.
And the way it works is that there are thousands of locally run, grassroots freecycling groups around the world. Once you find and join your local groups, you can post 'Offers' for items you want to give away, or 'Requests' for items you need (as long as you follow some basic rules shown below).
For example, here is how offering an item works:
- You have a bike you don't need and you want to dispose of it.
- Instead of throwing it away, you join your local freecycling group.
- You then submit an 'Offer' post to the group that describes your bike and your general location and your post will be sent to all the members of the group.
- Group members interested in your bike will reply to your post to contact you privately.
- You choose which person you would like to give the bike to.
- Between the two of you, you arrange a time and place for them to come and pick up the bike.
- Your bike is picked up.
- You let everyone on your local group know that the bike is no longer available by marking your 'Offer' post as gifted.
- You've given away your bike with little effort to someone who can use it, met someone new from your community and kept something out of the landfill. Great for you and the planet!
Similarly, when you need an item you can create a new 'Request' post and if someone has what you need, they will contact you to offer it.
What You Can Find
You can give and get almost anything on your local freecycling group. Some of the most common posts are for items such as old electronics, building materials, clothes and books.
Even things you might not consider reusable like cloth scraps, scratched CDs and broken appliances sometimes find homes with artists looking for materials or tinkerers looking for an interesting project or spare parts. Items you offer aren't expected to be in perfect condition as long as you accurately describe their condition when you offer them.
So next time you're cleaning out the garage, moving to a new place or about to throw something away, don't forget that someone on your local freecycling group might be able to use your unwanted stuff.
When posting to your local freecycling group, you must follow these rules:
- Groups are only used for offering and requesting free items.
- No selling, trading or spamming is allowed.
- No chatting (some groups have separate cafe groups for chatting)
- Be respectful and polite
- Nothing illegal should be posted (no drugs, weapons, etc.)
- All items posted should be appropriate for all ages.
Individual groups often have additional rules. The rules are enforced by the volunteer moderators who manage the group and each group has different moderators. If you have questions about a group's rules, you can contact the moderators.
How do I create an email alert?
- Go to the All Posts page
- Use the search option at the top of the page to search for the item that you are looking for (1-3 keywords work best).
- Then click the button labelled "Save as Email Alert" that shows up.
- Finally, select the types of posts you want to be alerted about (Offers and/or Requests) and click the "Save" button.
How do I reply to a post that I'm interested in?
If you're on the site, in the app or or reading a digest email, simply click on the post title to view the full details of the post. Once you are viewing the full post, click on the Reply button below the post description to compose and send a message to the post author.
Keep in mind that the person offering the item may hear from multiple people who want it, so you might not always get the item.
If the offerer picks you, you and the offerer will arrange a time and place for you to pickup the item. Usually, you pickup the item at or near the offerer's residence.
How do I change my location?
There are different answers depending on which location you are referring to.
The location of posts you see on the All Posts page is based on the groups you are a member of and your public post settings. You can add and remove groups on the Groups page at any time. And you can change your post settings using the post options on the Profile page.
If you're trying to change the location description that shows up on your posts, you can only change this for new posts. Every time you post, there is a Location text field on the New Post page that controls the location description that will show up on your post.
If you're trying to change the location displayed on the map that goes with your post, simply click the link next to the map that is labelled "Wrong location?" to correct the location. This will only update the map display and so it should only be done when the map doesn't match the location described in the text of the post.
How do I remove the Fair Offer Policy from my posts?
Every time you post an Offer, there is a checkbox on the new post form that asks if you want to use the Fair Offer policy. Simply uncheck it the next time you post to indicate that you don't want to use the Fair Offer policy on that post.
Old posts can't be edited to remove the Fair Offer Policy - see the help page on editing posts for more details about this.